Capitalise

Streamlining the flow of adding clients


Capitalise offers the necessary tools for businesses to be able to access funding and loans as well as being supported by accountants to step in and provide support and guidance that will benefit both their clients and themselves.

I was brought in to reimagine and restructure the usability of certain parts of the product which got constant feedback from users in terms of not being able to complete core tasks as well as integrating new features into the product to help facilitate new services.

One part of the product that needed improvement was the ability to add new clients. The main problem with the process of adding new clients inside the platform was the confusion around what are the main tasks that need to be completed in order to add a new client. The user would be overwhelmed with a multitude of inputs that they would have to fill out all at once. It wasn't very clear what are the steps they need to perform in order for the action to be completed. Based on previous feedback, they would often end up wondering why they cannot add a new client or which actions they need to complete.

One of the main challenges was breaking the flow into smaller chunks of digestible steps to complete. This way, the user would be guided at each step with the actions that need to be performed in order to complete the process.


Breaking it up in smaller steps


The focus for iterating on this feature was to make it as easy and as clear as possible for users to add a new client. The flow has been split into three main steps: company information, financial information and tracking facilities. This way it removes the feeling of being overwhelmed with information all at once in one screen. Field validation is easier to trouble-shoot in smaller chunks of information as well. The sidebar was added so it adds extra clarity around where in the flow the user is.


Interaction for tracking facilities


For the tracking facilities step, the IA had a whole restructure. The purpose of the new version was to make the ability to manage facilities as seamless as possible. The cards for detected facilities would be added in the first column. A tracked facility could then be dragged & dropped into the second column that would change the facility into an editable mode. This way, the content and the interaction for managing facilities as well as adding/editing/removing them was more clear.

UI elements for empty states, progress bars and the final layout of the cards are meant to add extra clarity and delight for the user.


The inceptions of conversations feature


The conversations feature was a new addition that had to be integrated into the main dashboard. I started by mapping out the stories that the feature needed to accomplish. This way, a blueprint was created for fleshing out the flow of the feature. Before diving into the actual design, I spent time iterating on the IA through wireframes to get the skeleton of the interaction in place. The main problems were how to integrate the feature into the new dashboard so it doesn't end up being intrusive or overshadowing the dashboard as well as how to make it clear to the user that the clients are selectable to start a conversation with them.


Final designs


After defining the blueprint for the userflow based on the wireframes, I dived into fleshing out the main designs. The conversations ended up being integrated into a side panel for easy access. A couple of interations were done for displaying the information inside the cards. There was a lot of information to convey in a tiny space and it was important that every collapsed/expanded stated displayed the essential information in the best possible way.


Selected state & clients


It was also important to separate the default state from the selected state inside the side panel. This was done by highlighting the UI inside it as well as differentiating the default state from the selected state inside the main dashboard.


User testing & prototypes


For both the adding clients & conversations feature I put together interactive prototypes, ran user testing sessions to collect feedback and understand main pain points with the new designs. There have been a couple of iterations mainly for fine tuning certain parts of the flow where users flagged confusion. For example, inside the adding clients feature, the states of the sidebar were not clear enough in the first version whether they have been completed or not and which is the current step they are on. I tweaked the UI to add extra clarity for how a completed step and a current step looks.

You can find me on linkedin, angellist, twitter and insta or email me at alinacolceag@gmail.com

.